The details of the study are shown below:
- 1 RM was tested prior to beginning the program.
- Strength routine included a 2 day split (upper body/lower body), where each muscle group was trained twice a week. The barbell back squat was the only lower back or leg exercise allowed during the 6 week program.
- Participants warmed up with 10 body weight squats, 10 repetitions performed at 50% of 1RM, 1 repetition at 60% of 1RM, and a final repetition at 70% of 1RM.
- Participants in the 8-set group performed 8 sets of barbell back squat with 3 minute rests in between sets. Each set was performed to failure.
- At the mid-point of the program (3 weeks), the 1 RM was tested again and working load recalculated.
Source: Daniel W. Robbins, Paul W.M. Marshall, and Megan McEwen, T. Effect of Training Volume on Lower-Body Strength. J Strength Cond Res 26: 34-38, 2012.